summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, October 21, 2011

Red Fox

What a delight to catch more than a glimpse of our resident red fox!

The fox is beautiful, sly, and always on guard. 

Sight of red fox through office window.

I first noticed the fox retreating from the locality of his den, near the edge of the woods, from my office post.   I moved from the shield of the inside of the house, quietly opened the back door and slowly crept around to the mountain side of the house where the fox had traveled.  I watched, hiding and without motion using our board fence as an obstruction, the fox for close to one hour.  The temperature kept dropping as the sun lowered in the sky.  I had gone outside without a jacket, and now I was getting cold.  But, better cold than missing this exciting opportunity. I continued to watch with interest.




The fox stayed within the tall grass as he hunted mice.  A few steps to the left, turn, a few steps to the right, ending with a short pounce.  This short stepping/turning action was repeated over and over. 




Once in a while, I would observe the full body length of the fox - tip of the black nose to the end of the white, bushy tail - magnificent.

Hunting over, the fox withdrew into the woods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment