summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sweet Melody

As I sat inside, I heard a sweet and very distinctive melody; so clear, as if the singing bird was right inside the house with me.  I listened again trying to pinpoint the location.  I did.




A small Carolina Wren sat upon a fence post on the mountain side of the house within feet of the door that opens onto the deck. The small bird would sing a short stanza, stop, and sing again.  Each note was loud and pure, coming together as a most beautiful song. 


I watched the little, brown bird  intently as each note came forth from a wide opened beak.  That little bird sang with enormous spirit and love. 


While enjoying the song, I also paid special attention to the coloring of this modest, cheerful bird.  His feathers were magnificent, not so much a unique color; but in a way the browns blended with rusts and black and white. The tail looked, to me,  like a checkerboard made up of brown and black - the identifying physical feature for me.

But, it is the engaging melody that conveys that the Carolina Wren is within my vicinity. I do not have to see this bird to smile.  I only have to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment