summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, October 14, 2011

Garden Clogs/Farm Clogs

For years, I resisted buying a pair of rubber garden clogs. 

Everyone was wearing them, in assorted colors; and extolling the comforts of such. I continued to resist.  Quite frankly, I thought they looked like Olive Oyl shoes - you know, Olive Oyl,  Popeye's only  squeeze.

Then, at the end of last year's gardening season, I saw these clogs on sale at a nearby garden shop.  Should I?  Shouldn't I?  After all, they were on sale...

The pretty colored ones had decorative cutouts along the top, from side to side.  Hummmm....dirt could enter much too easily for my needs.  But, the solid clogs were only available in black - boring!  But, black it was as this choice was much more logical.

From the first minute I wore those clogs out into the garden, I was sold.  Again, what took me so long?
They were comfortable, kept the dew outside my shoes, and I even used them when I went swimming in our pond (their floating property was another benefit) - they were perfect, almost.  There is one slight problem - my feet sweat after a certain length of time wearing the clogs, but I can live with that - the overall comfort was worth that slight annoyance.

And, they are a snap to remove as I enter the house and a snap to put on when I go back outside - so convenient.

Are you sold yet?

One day Glenn called for my help to move the cattle into the barn lot.  We needed to spray them for flies, but most importantly, we needed to separate the bull from the herd.  Little Red was going to solitary - at least from the cows.  He does have a horse, a steer, a llama, three rams and the visiting deer to keep him company.

In any case, I went to the barn lot in my gardening attire of shorts and clogs - I had no idea the barn lot was so muddy (over-the-shoe muddy) from recent rains.

The clogs were great until I sunk down into the mud.  As I walked about trying to herd the cattle, one clog stuck in the mud and I made several steps barefoot in not only mud, but in manure-infused mud before I could stop.  In no way was this like a spa treatment for my feet.  The mud (mixed with fresh, green, squishy poop) also contained fine grit which irritated my bare skin. 

Now, I warn you...if you are a bit squeamish, do not check out the following photos - a record of what my feet looked like by the end of the chore.





I told you not to look. 

Fortunately, another benefit of my garden clogs is that they can be hosed off - good as new.

No comments:

Post a Comment