summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Falling Leaves - Already?








The rains came last night, and predictably, many of the beautifully-colored leaves now rest on the ground. The downed leaves will only retain their brilliant hues for a very short time before fading to a lesser, more muted shade before reaching their near final stage - brown, dry, and crunchy.







Looking out beyond our pastures to the Blue Ridge Mountains, it seems as if the distant foliage turned near peak, peak overnight.  Boy, that was quick!





I know this event happens annually, but I do wish it would arrive as late, and as slowly, as possible.   I am guessing that we stand at average this season.  I accept the fate of this season.  Nevertheless,...

the grey sky and rains are really a bittersweet moment  - the leaves still retained on the trees show boldly against the darkened sky (sweet), yet the many leaves released from their branches, their home since spring, are history (bitter).

the half tree - half changing to burgundy....

The floating colors look like jewels falling from the sky - a ruby, a topaz, a garnet, ....


and the opposite half changing to lemon-yellow
I am embracing these moments as long as I can, carefully placing them in my mind's safe deposit box  for removal at a later date.  These snapshots in time will have to last me one full year. 

For now, I will relish each falling leaf as if it is the last!

walnut trees - usually the first trees to lose all their leaves


No comments:

Post a Comment