summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, October 1, 2011

October and McCormick Mill Day

The first day of my favorite month of my favorite season.....

I have designated October my favorite month as it most accurately represents my favorite season, autumn.

As such, I make a concerted effort to really enjoy each day, each moment of this month....I try to spend as much time as possible outdoors watching the minute color changes of the deciduous foliage from day one through day 31,  I try to play more than work, I try to take a bit of time to do something I do not normally do during the rest of the year...I live my life as full as I possibly can. 

Today, besides cleaning for my in-laws pending visit, Glenn and I attended McCormick Mill Day.  Vintage machines and tools, demonstrations, and food/craft booths created the day of fun and camaraderie. 




water-driven gears - rear gears in motion
corn filtering down between the mill stones















The best part was watching whole corn being ground into meal in the original, water-wheel driven mill (c. 1845).  Old-fashioned broom making and rope making also topped the list. 













twisting twine to make rope

The day was sunny, cool; made colder with a brisk wind - there can be no mistaking - autumn is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment