summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Autumn Update

Glenn and I took  a few days (three including travel time, so I do mean few) off the farm to enjoy another, very different venue - the beach - the Outer Banks of North Carolina to be exact.  Becky, and friends, were on hand to take over over the regular chores...animal care never takes a holiday.




The ocean was warm enough for me to enter knee deep, the salt-filled breeze was pleasant, the shore birds were entertaining (pelicans are my favorite), the dolphin fins briefly rising from the water were thrilling, the bathing cormorant was exciting, and the fresh seafood (my stomach is full)...fabulous!  Other than my planned, mainland nature hike (along a boardwalk) in the wetlands, which lasted all of 5 minutes (we were cloaked, within seconds, with a swarm of really nasty, biting mosquitoes),  the mini-vacation was near perfect - a  kind of rejuvenation.




Back home, the first things I noticed this morning were that a lot of leaves had fallen and a lot of leaves have turned that mellow squash-orange color.  Even my flaming red sugar maple in the yard - orange!  I have never seen it orange before - ever!  The near and distant forests, yes; my yard tree, no.






But, I like orange, so the effect is pleasing (still odd) to me.




 

I saw the flerd grazing uniformly over the field; as if the animals were posed for a picture.   But, within the few seconds it takes to fetch my camera, the sheep decided to make a trip to the water tank. When one sheep moves, they all move (notice the line of white below).  So much for that Kodak moment....


 


Our pastures remain green and continue to grow well - the plan for our year-round grazing management.  There can never be too much grass.  The more grass that can be stockpiled, for the coming winter, the better.  We want to graze as long as possible into the winter months; keeping supplemental hay to a minimum.

We cannot manipulate Mother Nature, but so far; she seems to be on our schedule and we are fortunate.

Tomorrow may be different....we manage day by day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment