summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Harvest 2011 - Red Raspberries



We have been enjoying (smacking lips) a small (as in size of berry) crop of red raspberries since mid summer.  Last year's berries were much bigger, but the same in taste - yummy! We always have to cope with drought, bugs, birds...so, any crop is appreciated.




Today, on this sunny and warm October day, Becky and her Grandmother (my mother-in-law visiting from South Beloit, Illinois) collected the ripe berries. They gathered as I mowed the lawn.  With each pass, I observed Becky putting another handful of berries into her mouth.  I am guessing that today's harvest, what actually got into the house, was only half the amount they actually picked. 

The berries are still sweet and fruity.  Glenn likes his raspberries fresh on his morning yogurt; I like mine smushed with sugar and served as a topping on my bowlful of chocolate ice cream.  (I am the dessert-eater in the family)



The raspberry plants are still producing well and will until the freeze.  The past few days, we were getting close with one morning registering at a very nippy 42 degrees - burrr!

But, as the berries keep coming, we will keep eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment