summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, October 10, 2011

Blue Ridge Parkway

The afternoon was glorious - warm, sunny and colorful.

Glenn and I decided to go for a motorcycle ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which we can access in about fifteen minutes from our farm, to enjoy not only the magnificent colors but also the magnificent views as the road winds along the mountain ridges.  The chain of distant mountain peaks, the valleys with quaint farms below,  and miles and miles of tree-covered slopes are just a few of the many scenes observed from a soaring bird's point of view - currently our view.  Around every bend was a new and exciting vignette of color combinations - almost like spices and veggies mixed in a stew.  And, the colors gave me that feeling of warmth, too!

I made the decision to leave my camera at home - the ride is bumping at times and I really like my camera...

The colors of the turning autumn foliage are still on the upswing; therefore, a lot of deciduous green still persists among the intense colors.

There are so many color variations, I am unable to name them all, but I will give it a good start...

Flaming red, chili pepper red, burgundy, sparkling wine, blood-red orange, muted peach, pumpkin orange, curry, butternut squash, gold, brassy yellow, lemon, lime, mottled green, nutmeg, russet...have I painted a picture for you yet?

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and the next few days - rain and wind are merciless on fall foliage - causing early drop and fading colors. 

Fortunately, I have the beauty of the season safely packed away in my mind.

more color on the Blue Ridge.....today's update










No comments:

Post a Comment