summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Still At It - Cleaning, That Is

Tomorrow is the day my in-laws arrive for a short visit, and I am still cleaning house.  You know the cleaning people like me do; about once every year - usually just before the in-laws arrive....

I have mentioned it before and I make no secret of it - I dislike (I am trying to be civil)housecleaning...cooking - OK, baking - OK, laundry - OK, sewing/quilting - OK...just not vacuuming, dusting, and all the normal/regular housecleaning chores.  I would rather be outside weeding, mowing, walking, talking to the animals, taking pictures...you get the idea, right?


And, my age really adds to the amount of time required. When I was young, I could clean the entire house in one day. The entire house would be clean all at once. I would walk around each room -  gleaming. Now, I can clean one room per day before the aches and pains (you know those cleaning muscles that I rarely use) set in. Ouch! As a kid, my Mother always complained about her sciatica. I thought she was making that word up...now, I know what a sciatica is and mine hurts, too! By the time I get to the last room, the first one needs cleaning again - what's up with that?

Now, do not get me wrong. I like a clean and organized house. I just do not like the process to get it there. Why? The main reason is because the 'clean' lasts about one day if I am lucky, one hour if I am not.  Floors are magnets - pulling the dirt right off the bottom of Glenn's boots, Glenn washes his hands but never seems to get close to a towel to dry them off - drips all over, and I manage to find a pair of Glenn's dirty socks laying about the floor of every room in the house most every day. I am the pack rat (long-term collector) and Glenn is the short-term mess maker. The combination results in a very 'lived-in' house as Glenn constantly rationalizes.

Me...I just need to put my feet up, cozy up in the recliner with a good book, and occasionally glance at today's color scheme of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

 

Notice the hint of color, other than green....

So, little by little, another room gets its make-over.  In reality, we are running out of time.  I expect one room will not make the check off...better luck next time.

But, the good news is that we have finally finished (more like 95%) the renovation of Matt's bedroom.  We now have a real guest room - just in time for the in-laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment