summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Is It Still October????

I cannot remember an autumn when the trees were still dressed in colors of yellow, red, orange, burgundy...and enhanced with freshly fallen snow - never! Not even when we lived in Idaho where November snow is the norm. Yikes!  It is still October.


But, snow is falling right now, in Virginia - not the deep south, but still considered the south.


Global warming...hmmmm.

There was a hint of sleet late yesterday afternoon while I went out to do my chicken chores.  I wore my winter chore coat, but no hat or gloves.  As I refreshed the water, my hands were freezing.  It was downright cold outside.  I wanted to get back inside immediately, but I still had the bird feeders to fill.  I found a pair of gloves - what a help!


 



By midnight, the precipitation had turned into large, white snowflakes.  Not the light flurries that usually begin what we usually call 'the first snow' of the season, but honest to goodness fluffy, white and wet snowflakes.  And, the flakes were not melting as they hit the ground, they were accumulating. What the hay?


Yeah, yeah, yeah...the snow is pretty, but being a farmer/country dweller, many thoughts enter the equation.  Is this an indication that winter will be long, arriving soon, or is this snowfall just a fluke?  Should we be purchasing more hay than we originally thought would get us through a severe winter?  Are the rams going to be able to breed 70 sheep in less than desirable weather?  After all, the rams are not even out with the ewes yet.  Scheduled day of placing the rams with the ewes is still one week away.  Will the weather improve?  Will there be an adequate, in terms of numbers, lambing come April?  Do we have enough firewood?  Are all the veggies harvested from the garden?  No, the sweet potatoes are still in the ground.   Do I still have time to gather black walnuts? Do I still have time to cover my sensitive perennials with pine boughs?




So many questions arising from an earlier than normal snowfall....no definitive answers!

OK, calm down, take a deep breath and enjoy the phenomena of an early season snow...

I have to admit, it is pretty! And, I have no place I need to go.  So, I am just going to sit back in my lounge chair near the gas fireplace and enjoy the view.  But, first,...

I take a short walk around the house and yard trying to capture a few good photos of this early snow.  I took about 80 shots, and ended up with about 5 really good photos.  Regrettably, my camera got wet - not so good.

The snow looks pretty, but unfortunately, my perennials do not.  Many plants still in flower have drooped; many upright foliage plants, some over 6 feet tall which I was saving for winter interest,  have fallen to the ground; the bamboo patch has arched over into a short jungle; the ornamental grasses, down....at least the plants were nearing the end of the growing season.


Joe Pye weed and colorful zinnias met their demise

Now, to get the sweet potatoes dug out of the ground; the gourds cut from their vines; the miscellaneous veggies (onions, white/red potatoes) from outside storage to inside storage; and the geraniums dug, potted, and brought inside to warmth.  I have all afternoon, I am in no hurry. The sun is out and the temperatures are warming.  But, I cannot wait too long as even colder temperatures are expected for tonight.

The calendar date indicates fall, but our surroundings definitely exclaim winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment