summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, October 7, 2011

For My Viewing Pleasure - Two Birds

Yesterday, I tried to photograph the Blue Jays eating the red berries off my red dogwood tree.  They were skittish and flew off, but I did manage a series of photos of Sam (resident mockingbird) atop the soon-to-be blazing sugar maple.

Sam was so considerate and patient as I took photo after photo.













First, he posed, then he preened, and then he posed again - my lucky day.

Today, I was just as lucky.

As I was preparing my cooking column for the Friends of Gladys Taber Newsletter (December 2011 issue) at the computer, I heard a familiar thump on the glass storm door just a few feet away.  A bird had just crashed into that glass door.

I went to look and sure enough, the tiniest bird sat, stunned, on the entry porch.  A quick glance around - no cats; dogs nearby, but sleeping.  The bird was safe for the moment.  I hoped that the little guy would regain his bearings soon. 


In any case, I took the opportunity to get an up-close photo of this unknown (to me) species.  First, through the glass (always a bit fuzzy) door, then outside. Buddy had awakened and was already intently eyeing the bird from the step of the porch. I gingerly opened the door and slowly crept the last few inches toward the bird.  I took several photos, getting closer with each click of my shutter.  During the last two shots, I noticed that the bird followed my movements with his head, then eyes.  Suddenly, he came alive; flew up and out from the porch area - gone. I was happy that not only did he recover, but that his life was spared from our cats, or even dog.



I perused my pictures of the little bird; comparing them to the ones in my handy bird book - a yellow-rumped warbler sometimes called a Butter Butt - how cute!




Autumn keeps on rewarding me - bringing me color with the changing of the leaves, but also with the late growing season wild flowers and local and migrant birds.  Now, if only those pesky (and smelly) stink bugs would leave...

The more time I spend observing, the more benefits I garner - I am a lucky person!

No comments:

Post a Comment