summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Birds, Birds Everywhere

The yard/gardens always seem to be filled with birds these days.  That is, until Buddy nonchalantly enters the scene.  Then, the birds become scarce.  They are onto his game.

Eureka!  The answer came to me.  These birds were eating the dried seed heads of my flowers.  I do make an effort not to cut the seed heads down during early fall clean-up, at least not until I am sure the seeds have been eaten.  I am glad that the birds are still enjoying bounty from my garden.

Look carefully - can you see the American Goldfinch?
 But, most times, I have to look closely to see most of the birds.   While doing dishes, I was able to observe an American Goldfinch just outside the window on a dried cone flower.  He was twisting and turning to reach all the seeds on that particular seed head.  He was also clothed in his winter feathers - very mute (not brilliant gold at all) grey blending in with the dried vegetation remaining in the flower bed. 

A Carolina Wren just landed on the silver maple, located just outside the office window,  as I sit at the computer typing.  I can hear the tweets through the closed pane as this tiny bird flits from twig to twig.  I saw this same (?) bird on the entry porch earlier this morning when I took my usual first look of the day.  I also saw a Carolina Wren sitting in the small dogwood tree, growing just feet from this same porch, yesterday; as all three cats sat motionless on  the porch, heads facing said bird.  That wren was tempting fate, but he did fly away before any mishaps with my cunning cats.

Last week, a Carolina Wren rested in my trellis on the side of the pergola - I watched  with interest until, yep -  Buddy arrived.  Buddy always seems to know where I am and has to be there.  I enjoy his company most of the time, but once in awhile, I need a bit of secrecy.  Of course, he does not know that. 

 
The Blue Jays add blurrs of brilliant blue color to the faded landscape as they fly here, then there.  They are the bullies at the feeders, but they have a purpose - maybe it is just to add another dimension of beauty to my immediate world.

I often catch a couple of  Mockingbirds in dance.  One bird is almost stationary except for a turning head as if watching a tennis match and the other, directly facing the mate; hops to the right, hops to the left, hops back to the right.  This movement is repeated over and over.  I watch about five minutes before I move on to my chores.  Hours later, I can witness a recurrence of this same dance.  I have viewed the Mockingbirds going through a dance routine in the spring, but the steps/movements are totally different - lots of wing action.  There is no wing action this time.  I guess I am watching the 'Fall Fling' version of the Mockingbird Boogie.

Mockingbird resting his twinkle toes
There is a lot to be perceived in my garden.  I make a point to look everywhere....I do not want to miss one little detail, not one little event!

No comments:

Post a Comment