summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Last Hurrah

My  'Last Hurrah' tree, the large silver maple that towers over the roof at one corner of our house is, now, dressed in full glorious yellow-gold color. That corner of the house absolutely glows, both on the outside and on the inside.



This tree is the last in my yard, and in most of my surrounding area, to display its autumn radiance - this tree is always the last, never fail, every fall - the last.  Thus, the name, Last Hurrah.


No matter when the local foliage color change  begins, early or late and no matter how long the color change lasts, short or lengthy;  I can always count on this tree to close the season in spectacular, final glory.

My favorite view is looking out the office window; sitting where I write my blog, pay bills, compose personal letters; discerning the gold-laden branches bending down, highlighting the barn pasture and practically hiding the sight of the distant mountains looming up from behind our neighbor's woods to the east.   Add an early morning sunrise, and I am speechless - Indescribable!!! How can one person benefit from so much beauty, seated in one location and settled in the comfort of one's own home?  I do not want to look away.



I move to the living room and I get another view of my tree - just as gorgeous, just as breath-taking.

I am so privileged.








Unfortunately, we have been experiencing high winds the past few days causing the early release of these golden nuggets. However, the leaves, floating the air currents down  to the ground, provide yet another degree of pure joy. 

 
At times, a slight breeze will make the leaves dance along the roof top or roll along the still green lawn. - amusing entertainment.    If there is a rain shower, the leaves stick to the roof, walkway or lawn looking like nature's confetti.  Celebrate!

Presently, the ground in the  immediate area of Last Hurrah is covered with a good amount of this tree's, and only this tree, fallen leaves.  Such a bittersweet moment - peaceful, yet knowing the end of the season is getting really close.  The seconds are silently ticking....

No comments:

Post a Comment