summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pretty In Pink, Or Blue, Or White

I think I have mentioned before...I am an amateur at most things I do.  Gardening included.

I have always wanted to have hydrangeas growing in my garden - mostly for the huge flower clusters they produce, which when dried;  can be used as lovely floral decorations.

Two seasons ago, I planted a hydrangea - a sale plant; so I was feeling thrifty, again, and content.

The first summer the plant grew, but did not produce flowers.  I did not worry.  Over the years I have determined that perennials need at least two, if not three, seasons to really begin to prosper.


This summer, the plant burst; albeit a little burst, full of color - white,  blue and pink. I expected blue.  Now, I thought that was odd since blue flowers on a hydrangea indicate alkaline soil and pink flowers indicate acid.  White - neutral?   How could I have such a range of soil acidity/alkalinity in the same, exact spot?  Whatever...I liked the option of having the melange of colors on one plant.




So, I cut the balls of flowers and brought them inside to dry - wrong.  They dried alright, but not as I had anticipated.  The wonderful blues and pinks and whites, which I thought would be preserved, dried to brown.  What did I do wrong?  All the pictures of dried hydrangeas decorating the 'perfect' staged rooms as seen in magazines look like near just picked flowers.  Not mine!

Time for some of that Internet research...

Come to find out, hydrangeas dry on the plant, then they are cut.  Great...I just about cut every flower from my plant that was blooming.  'Better luck next year' as they say.

But, as I was going through my multitude of perennial  beds; clipping dead stems and spent flowers during my recent fall clean-up, I discovered that my hydrangea had produced a few more flowers when I was not paying much attention.  And, they were dry.  A bit too dry, as some of the petals have a brownish tinge, but I can live with a bit of patina.  I cut all the flower heads, six to be exact, and placed them in two vases in the kitchen.










I am amazed at the coziness a few dried hydrangeas add to the  warmth of the kitchen.  (There go my lips...into that slender smile.)  Not fabulous color, but enough to satisfy. 

 
2011 was not the best year for my hydrangeas due to my own ignorance, but I am already anxious for the 2012 results.  After all, I will be more experienced.

The only other question, 'Will the petals be pink, white or blue?' I guess I will just have to wait and be surprised.  I will take what comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment