summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, November 7, 2011

Daylight Savings Time

Today I woke to the sun rays filtering through the fully-leaved branches of the silver maple tree growing right outside my bedroom window.





My first oberservation and comment was that the leaves were calm, motionless.  Glenn, awake with eyes closed, responded, "They are resting." Yes, they are...they are resting.  Such a simple, yet profound thought.

A Blue Jay landed on one of the limbs, but quickly flew off.  The silver maple is a favorite with the birds.  The expansive branching provides many a 'resting' place.  Or, it just might be because the birdfeeder is located just below.  Whatever the reason, I do enjoy watching all the different birds visiting within  mere feet of my gaze.

This tree is the last in our yard to turn color in the fall. Currently, it is still very green.  But, soon, it will turn a vivid yellow before actual leaf drop.  I call this tree my 'Last Hurrah' tree.  Year in, year out; this tree never fails to follow routine.  I receive my last hurrah of gorgeous autumn every year from this exact tree.


As I look out the side window, I can see one of the barn paddocks below.  Just beyond are the neighbor's woods.  And, in the far distance, the rounded peak of St. Mary's Wilderness which is only visible from this roost during the leafless phase of my silver maple.


Looking out the front window, mountain-side; I overlook almost the entire farm - pastures and woods - which look to terminate with the risisng, majestic Blue Ridge Mountains.

I like waking up with the welcoming sunshine!

The rest of the day followed with gleeming sun, warm (70+) temperatures, and the urge to spend every daylight hour outside.  These desirable days are bound to end.  After all, we already had snow in late October. So, take advantage, I must!


Out to play with Jake and Buddy, hang out laundry, view all the other farm animals, mow half of the lawn (saving the second half to enjoy tomorrow), discover all the flowers that continue to bloom,  watch the flighty birds, and just spend an overall fabulous day on my farm.

 










And, my whole day started with the sun shining through the silver maple - such a simple pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment