summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ranger Cookies - YUMM!

I got the hankering to bake some cookies, so I made a fairly new recipe to me, Ranger Cookies. This was only the second time I ever made these cookies.  Boy, was I missing out....let's see...for decades.

My added dried fruit of choice was a combination of golden raisins; dried, chopped cranberries; and a tad of dried, diced apricots (leftover from an earlier recipe I prepared).  Any combination of dried fruits would be delicious.  Also,  I always seem to modify any recipe to my taste, so I included 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

Look at all those tasty nuggets!

Glenn does not favor coconut, but the 1 cup used delivered only a hint of coconut flavor; so all was well.


So well in fact, that Glenn ate two cookies right off the cooling rack.  Glenn is not a sweet eater; cakes, candy, cookies; but for some reason, he likes these cookies. Drat..I will have to share.  Hmmm, now where can I hide these cookies????

As I was mixing the ingredients, I realized that cookies are not cheap to make. Within the last few months, my sugar cost has increased from $2.50/five pound bag to $3.08; my flour from $1.28/five pound bag to $1.98; and those items which I do not purchase often; like the dried fruits, chocolate chips and coconut are, what I consider, expensive.  And, do not forget that chicken feed has also doubled in price while my chickens are slowing down in their egg-laying production (due to age and season); meaning, they are eating more and I am getting less eggs in return.

No doubt, cookies are expensive to make.

But, I am a CARB freak - especially cookie-carb freak. 

My justification...I do not smoke, I do not drink, I do not use drugs (not even aspirin) grow most of my our own vegetables, we raise all our own beef, I rarely leave home (cuts down on that gas expense)...

I can afford to make cookies!  And, if I make them, I must eat them!




P.S.  Notice my stainless cookie scoop in the top two photos...I only recently purchased this tool.  For those of you out there, like me, who are slow to try new ideas/tools; (I used two teaspoons for close to 35 years of cookie making) I highly recommend this scoop.  It is not only easier, but it also makes more uniform cookies.  And, a tip I just picked up (Again, where I have been?) from a cooking show on TV, the more uniform the pieces (they were talking about vegetables, but I think the same holds true for cookies), the more uniform the cooking.







No comments:

Post a Comment