summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Ginkgo Gold


The fan-shaped leaves of my Ginkgo tree have finally turned gold - brilliant, bright, and so stunning.  I need to enjoy this foliage quickly as I have witnessed the golden leaves quiver in the breeze one day, and piled down on the ground, around the base of the tree, the next.  No, lengthy show time for this tree.


Glenn does not like my Ginkgo - green, gold or otherwise.  Glenn, being a forester by education and profession, prefers tree species that eventually produce a timber value; and are native to our locale.  The Ginkgo fits neither trait. 

I, on the other hand, choose trees, shrubs, perennials, flowers; all things growing in my garden, by what I like. My choice may have been made because of the color, the texture, the growing habit, the maintenance issue...
morning frost glazes a fallen ginkgo leaf
So, I planted bamboo near the Ginkgo.

At one time, the Ginkgo inhabited in a much larger range than it does today.  It was growing 150 million years ago while the dinosaurs roamed.  And, the Ginkgo can live for 2500+ years - that alone an admirable significance.  No timber value...pshaw.

The Ginkgo (scientifically named Ginkgo biloba) is a near perfect ornamental as it resists disease, pests, and pollution. 


I  have a small bench in what I call ' my Ginkgo garden'.  It is a place I go to sit and empty my mind of every thought - good or bad.  I just sit, gazing at the majestic mountain view - I do not think, I do not worry, I do not plan; just look.


And, I am at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment