summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, November 4, 2011

A Gift from My Husband

I received a present today - I was so surprised - my lips unconsciously formed a happy smile across my face.

Glenn returned to the house, from doing his chores, bearing gifts.

He had an arm full of gourds - very plain, almost albino-like, so different than the gourds I had  harvested just days before.  A gift - unsolicited and precious.

Glenn had taken a wagon packed with garden trash - dead plant material, fallen branches - to dump into one of several burn piles located out in the pastures.  This particular pile, which was slated for torching one year ago (you know, we are always a bit behind) was, according to Glenn, growing vines - gourd vines to be exact. 

So, he brought me an armload of those plain, white gourds.  (I seldom get gifts of any kind from Glenn so this offering was really special - particularly since the gourds were already part of a discard pile. Glenn loves to discard.)

I placed the white gourds among my bright orange with green bottom ones and, lo and behold, these plain gourds were the perfect accent, the perfect selection that was needed.



 
My original, striking group of gourds has now become even more delightful.

Goes to show...a small change can make a huge difference, not only with gourds; but with most things in life. 


And, speaking of life...it is funny what things a person remembers. Today is Judy Wehrenberg's birthday.  Judy and I were friends all during elementary school.  Living on the same city block, we walked to school together; in the morning,  back home for lunch, back to school, and back home again in the afternoon.  I remember a lot about Judy - she was always thin; read a good deal (I believed she owned every Nancy Drew Mystery book); was always teacher's pet from Kindergarten through, at least, the 6th grade; had a huge Steiff animal collection;...and was very, very smart!  I probably have not seen or heard a peep from Judy in over 40 years - yikes - can it be that long????  So Judy, where ever your dreams took you, I hope my birthday greetings reach you - celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment