summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, November 25, 2011

Not So Black Friday

Black Friday, frequently the busiest shopping day of the year, is the contemporary name given to the day after Thanksgiving.

A quick Internet search revealed that the name was initially assigned to describe the heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic on that specific day.  That rationalization was imparted to a new one...the day the retailers turned a profit - were in the black.

I like a bargain better than most people, but I do not want to battle crowds...I would rather experience the peace of my farm.


I am not a shopper at heart.   And, my Friday is not black.


I woke to view a white frost glazing the lower pasture.  The early morning sky was a deep, clear blue.
Bright red berries accented the napping garden.  Blue Jays gathered enmasse at the feeder. The grass remains unseasonably green. The list is near endless....



No, my Friday is not black.

Then, I noticed a hairy woodpecker at the bird feeder just minutes after returning from collecting eggs where I was rewarded with the flight of a pileated woodpecker, slow and methodical, just above my head. Two, semi-black birds that I rarely observe....now, that is my kind of  'black' Friday, or any other day for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment