summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, September 4, 2011

35th Wedding Anniversary

Today is our 35th Wedding Anniversary.  It is astounding that so many years have passed so quickly.

Glenn and I were married in the small church in Berwyn, Illinois where I attended Sunday School my entire childhood through my Confirmation in the 8th grade.  My Mother's plan from day one - a church wedding.

My Mother was married in her parents' living room in the house (actually a two flat apartment) where she lived from age 17 until her death.  When married, she and my Dad moved into the first floor apartment and my grandparents remained in the second story flat the rest of all their lives - that, in itself, is amazing to me.

My Mother wanted a church wedding.  And, although both of her parents were raised in Catholic families, my Grandparents did not practice their religion.  My Grandfather, I was told, would not attend his daughter's wedding if she married in a church, therefore; his living room was the venue.

From what I had gathered over the years of story-telling by my Grandmother, my Grandfather certainly had a mind of his own.  I would say he was a bit of a rebel.  He would not attend church with his family, he'd rather go hunting.  He is not on the family photo - hunting. When he had problems with a neighbor, he would move -  during the night and making as much of a racket as possible.  So, when he informed my Grandmother, at marriage, that they would no longer attend church; she agreed.  She use to faint during services, you know all that up and down business; so, it was a decision that was agreeable to her.  But, that included my Mother's wedding.

I believe, from my birth, that I was destined to be married in a church.  My Mother was determined to have that church wedding.

Now, Glenn and I had other plans.  We wanted to have an outdoor wedding, at the Illinois Garden of the Gods at sunrise; a beautiful rock outcrop overlooking the wooded hills of southern Illinois, near where we both were attending college. It was a nice dream, but, my Mother had other plans.

We were young, naive, and did not realize that our wedding was really more for my Mother, than us.  So, Mom planned the event, church through reception, and she was happy.




My outstanding memories....

My wedding dress made by my Mother-in-law which included fabrics from my Grandmother's and my Mother's wedding dresses.

Walking up the steps at the front of the church, I stepped on my dress and could not move. I started to giggle.

Glenn  made a mistake while repeating his vows.  I knew he would, I was waiting.  It happened, and I started to laugh - uncontrollably - that was me.

Playing games at the reception.  My Mom was always the game planner at every family function, my wedding would not escape this custom.

Personally, handing out homemade favors to make sure I made contact with every guest.

My Father/Daughter dance.

My Mother looking more beautiful than ever.

My Father's last words to me when leaving, my childhood home, with my husband.

And, then the day was over, ended.... really, it was just the beginning!








No comments:

Post a Comment