summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yard Trails

I have obvious narrow trails through my yard.  Do you?

If you have a dog, you probably do.


What?

Both Jake and Buddy are creatures of habit.  They use the same path from the front of the house to the back of the house, and vice versa.  They use the same path through my various flower beds to get to the other side,  rather than go around.  As a result, I have permanent trails through my immediate yard.

Jake and Cricket (coming around the corner)






Permanent - where the grass has been either well worn or worn down to bare ground, or where flowers/plants have been completely destroyed - due to the continuous back and forth of four paws.  Now, multiply that by two dogs, and there are eight paws.  Correction....two cats also partake....16 paws.  That is quite a bit of traffic over the same spot; day after day, trip after trip.



There is not much I can do to improve the lawn situation, but I do take steps to reduce the unsightly trails through my perennial beds.  I judiciously plant around the trails, keeping the actual pathway open. (I got tired of constantly replanting the damaged areas.)  This results in, what looks likes, a deliberate plan and reduces the unattractive, dog-caused peculiarities.

Buddy's shortcut - he jumps off the rock wall and continues through the
flower bed rather than taking the long way around.

We are all happy.  Or, at least, I am happy.  The dogs and cats really do not care as they just continue their practice of walking along the same route; oblivious to MY problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment