summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Comfort Food and Friendship




The weather is changing.  The air is cooler, the light of day  darkens as threatening clouds build. The rain suddenly starts to fall.  The feel is, no longer summer, more like autumn.  It is time to cuddle up beneath a cozy quilt and read a book, or take a nap.  Either will do.



I have the making of squash bisque simmering on the stove - a  member contributed recipe that will be included in my next cooking column for the newsletter of the Friends of Gladys Taber. I kitchen test every recipe included in my column.  I harvested just enough acorn squash this season to meet the required amount of  that cubed  veggie.  (It was not a good year for squash of any variety.) Not much, but I know the taste will be better than using store bought produce.  I will make my homemade focaccia bread closer to dinner time. Fresh corn on the cob, dripping with butter, will be added if anyone is willing to go out in the rain to pick a few ears off the stalks.  (Note:  Glenn just came in from collecting the sweet corn.  I was expecting 5 or 6 ears, he brings in 50+.  I see a corn freezing mission in my immediate future.)

Becky is visiting and baking her version of oatmeal cookies.  The aroma lulls me toward that nap rather than reading a book.

I will consider today the actual start of 'comfort food season'....my prerogative.

As I begin to doze surrounded by smells of seasonings and spices, my mind wanders to yesterday....

 I spent the day with my friend Ann.  We were celebrating her birthday - it was in June.  We went out for a tasty lunch at what has become our favorite restaurant, Hollywood. The food always satisfies.  Onto the cinema..we lucked out and were actually able to choose a good movie to enjoy for a change  - The Help

But, mostly, we talked.  And talked, and talked.  Ann and I have to make more of an effort to see each other. The last time we got together was April 15th (I checked my personal journal).  OMG!  We live in the same county, Ann in the south and me in the north,  only about a 35 minute drive between us.

Ann keeps extremely busy with out-of-the area grandkids and I keep extremely busy with our farm - no excuse, but that is the only realistic reason I have. 

Even though it is not New Year's (you know,  the famed resolution),  I promise myself to make more of an attempt to see Ann regularly...I like Ann, I enjoy sharing time with Ann, and I am glad that Ann is my friend. 

I need to start behaving more like a true friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment