summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Small Visitors To My Garden - the Unknown Ones

I love to take pictures in my garden; especially of the small, creepy-crawly and unusual creatures that visit.  These creatures, most odd in appearance; have amazing color, either to show off or to hide; and,  are unknown to me by name.  But, they do catch my attention, and I take a photo to record their presence. 


brilliant color and pattern

For me; getting a good, up close shot in focus is challenging.  Because of my less than 20/20 vision,  the actual subject is on the blurry side, and I hope, that the final picture is clear, detailed.  I never really know until I view the photo on the computer screen.  Sometimes I am lucky, other times I am not.  Thank goodness for digital cameras.  I can take many, and I do mean many,  pictures with the hopes that at least one will be 'good'.  I have taken as many as 50 pictures to get that good one - the amateur in me.

Remember the days of film cameras.  Taking the exposed film in for processing and getting a packet of photos back in one week (one hour if you were willing to pay the premium price) to verify if you 'got the shot' or not.  If not, that memory was physically gone, forever - no chance for a retake.  Digital cameras remove that uncertainly - hurray!

Also, it is a challenge to get a photo, of any kind, because the subject moves - some, quite a lot.  Try it sometime...many of my photos are missing the 'star', the little bugger just moved on.

So, enjoy a few of the unknown ones in my garden...

This caterpillar ate one entire plant - belly full?

Bette Davis eyes

shimmering iridescence



       the BIG guy - yikes!

Note:  This last photo was taken in the summer of 2009, but I just had to include it here.  This caterpillar was huge - that large, gloved hand (of Glenn's) gives reference to its size - frightening! By chance, I found this caterpillar in my apple tree before IT had a chance to defoliate the entire tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment