summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bird Watching/Feeding

I am a novice at most everything I do, bird watching included.

I have three bird feeders in my yard which I try to keep full of feed year round. I enjoy watching the visiting birds throughout every day, and a full feeder is the enticement needed to keep the birds coming back.






The smallest feeder is attached to the corner of the fence near the south, southwest end of the house.  It has provided a lot of service because it has been the 'go to' feeder by many a bird for many years. Repairs are evident.  This feeder is used daily, mainly by our Blue Jay population. The Blue Jays can empty the mason jar reservoir in one morning.  The good thing is that it keeps them away from the largest feeder which provides food for the smaller bird species.  When a Blue Jay arrives at any feeder, all the other birds quickly scatter.




This second feeder hangs about two feet from the living room window, which provides a convenient and semi-hidden vantage point as I look out from inside.  I have observed many a bird, many species at this feeder and its immediate surroundings. When passing this particular window, I always take a glance at the feeder just in case I might catch a glimpse of an uncommon species partaking of a snack.   I have observed Cardinals, Sapsuckers, Eastern Towhees, Sparrows, Blue Jays, Indigo Buntings, Mourning Doves, Titmouse (Titmice?), Grackles, Juncos, Woodpeckers, Nuthatches and more... And, I have taken some great photos of these birds through the glass pane.   Photo opportunities I, otherwise,  would have missed if not for my stealthy position.






My bird seed mix is simple - half grey-striped sunflower seed and half cracked corn (sometimes more sunflower seed, sometimes more corn) - it works for me and it works to attract my feathered friends.

I also have a thistle seed feeder, nearby, for attracting American Goldfinches and Purple Finches.

And this year, all the random sunflowers growing throughout my gardens have provided 'natural' feeding stations.  It is really fun to watch the birds hang on the large, bowed seed head of the sunflowers, bend over the side, and grab a seed.  Some birds are much more skilled, more athletic than others.  These sunflowers  really attract quite a number of birds, so the garden always seems to be filled with these beautiful, flying creatures.  I hope the sunflowers reseed themselves, with or without avian help, and grow again next year. This different element was definitely an added plus for my bird watching.

As the season changes, so do some of the species as summer birds leave and winter birds arrive.  The year round residents do not mind the variation.




The major attraction for my interest, like with flowers, is color.  The distinction from one species to the next, from male to female; is so fascinating, so remarkable.  I have no favorites, but I lean to the vibrant.  I love color.

I am excited when I can watch and delight in the amusement of any bird who eats my offerings .

Simple pleasures help make my life complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment