summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Farm Days - Alpacas of Maple Grove Farm, Raphine

I returned to Alpacas of  Maple Grove Farm in Raphine today - they were hosting Farm Days. 

This time I brought Becky with me because I thought she would find the place interesting - she did. 

Before ever getting close to the alpacas, we visited with the matriarch of the family, a very friendly
 91-year-woman. We met in the cozy farm store (the farm's original granary) where she was knitting away.  MM offered to show us her house which was built by her grandfather, the inventor of the pivoting gate (see 9-16-11 blog  - Small Town America - Raphine).  I did not hesitate to accept.  We walked from the farm store, through the pivoting gate, up the stairs and into the house. Originally a large, two-story log cabin; when David Rosen  (MM's Grandfather) returned from the civil war, he added on the front addition.   MM was as good a tour guide as her Grandson Joe was on my first visit.  

MM presented a wealth of interesting family facts.  MM herself showed me the room where she was born and married - it is currently the living room of the addition.  MM is quite an accomplished artist - her artwork hangs through her home.  The amazing thing is that she did not start painting until she was 70 - yes, I said start.  She gave me and Becky a copy of one of her paintings as reproduced into a Christmas card.  I will cherish that memento.  It shows the Cape Hatteras lighthouse - a lighthouse Becky and I climbed on one of our Outer Banks, NC visits - so the card holds another special meaning.  MM pointed out her high chair which converts to a rocking chair (baby size, of course) - now, there's an idea.  MM continued her tour and ended by saying, 'I am a pack rat.'  Oh, I can relate ....


MM returned to her knitting in the store, and Becky and I strolled over to the alpacas. 

Alpacas are super soft (I understand why their fleece is cherished), very colorful (there are about 23 natural colors), and a bit curious as they stepped toward us.  My favorites are the ones with the 'bad hair' days, the fluffs on the top of their heads.  Oh...they all have 'bad hair' tops.






We purchased a few items from the shop, and ate complimentary hot dogs on our way out. 

Make a mental note if you want to attend next year - as Farm Days is an annual event.


Be there or be square...(blink)

No comments:

Post a Comment