summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Color Returning To My Garden

After what was to be a quick walkabout my garden, I was forced (well, not really forced - more like lured) to remain longer. 

Since the drought days of summer, when my plants faded both in bloom and flourish, we have received adequate rains and cooler temperatures. The perennials have responded and have recovered well.


My garden is entering the picturesque season of fall in a full rainbow of color.  Not only are leaves beginning their characteristic autumn transformation; but many flowers are making a comeback, their last hurrah of the season.




Autumn is my favorite season and I will not be disappointed - truthfully, I never am. No matter the resulting colors or lack thereof, the weather, the recurrent change in vegetation; autumn is the season that always has my heart.

What is blooming in my garden today?    The list is way too long to catalog here, but let me summarize:  approximately 28+ different species in varying colors of white, pink, yellow, purple, orange, red - that's just the flowers. Oh, I also have a daisy - its first appearance all season...a surprise for sure.






There are plenty of ornamental vegetative-type plants, shrubs and trees that are adding interest, too.  Timely enhancements include: foliar color change, berry formation, seed head maturation. Texture, too, is applauded.


















Beyond my garden, I am surrounded by the near woods and the distant forest-covered mountains - the Blue Ridge.  These wooded expanses are just beginning to display a hint of their autumn hues - the slower the change, for me, the better - the longer to fully enjoy each variation.

You have not seen the last of my autumn photos...the season is just beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment