summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, September 16, 2011

Small Town America - Raphine

Welcome to Raphine - my town of record, even though it is not the closest 'whistle stop' to our farm.  I actually have to drive through Steeles Tavern (see 8-30-11 blog) on my way to Raphine.


post office
bank, fire department



fair grounds


One of three small towns within our immediate vicinity, Raphine boasts a bank (not mine) with a parking lot that has 20 times the number of parking spaces that would ever be needed, a post office (closed for lunch between 12:00 - 1:00), a volunteer fire department, and mini fair grounds.  Raphine use to have a tiny grocery, next to the post office,  but it burned down years ago. 

My only reason for ever going to Raphine is to pick up mail that needs a signature - that's it.  So, being out of my way is not a great hardship. 

What is interesting about Raphine? It is home to three inventors who were, literally, neighbors in the 1800's:  James Gibbs inventor of the Gibbs sewing machine, Cyrus McCormick, inventor of the harvest reaper, and David Rosen, inventor of a center-pivoting gate. Amazing!




Today, I needed to sign for a letter at the post office.  On the spare of the moment,  I decided to stop at the old Rosen farm, Maple Grove, to ask if I could take a photo of that gate.  Well, I was greeted with the 6th, 5th and 4th generations of the farm's original settler.  Not only did I get a photo of the infamous gate, but I got an entire history lesson about Raphine from 5th generation Joe.  He pointed out, from his yard, many of the old buildings (the dentist office, the phone office, the farm implement store) now used as residences.  Raphine use to be a much larger and, what sounds like, a more active town. Joe's informal presentation was tremendous!    In addition to these Raphine references, Joe passed along old family stories including the time General Lee told his great, great, great (however many greats?) grandfather to hide the family valuables because the Yankees were due to pass through the Shenandoah Valley within days.  He showed me how the original log cabin home was added to over the years, including the new main entrance which was constructed soon after the Civil War.  And, to think, I was only hoping to be able to take a photo of that gate.  

I plan to visit again.  In fact, I plan to go back on Saturday, September 24th when the family is hosting Farm Days for the public - they now raise alpacas for wool, but the history of this Raphine farm is worth the visit.

I thought Raphine was only a small town where I needed to go to sign for my mail - it is so much more!  Thanks to Joe,  I yearn to learn more about my current home town - I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment