summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake in Virginia

Yep, we had an earthquake in Virginia this afternoon (8-23-11) and I missed it.  I mean I missed the movement of it.  I was actually outside doing a bit of rock 'n rolling on the riding lawn mower.  I missed the motion, but my lawn looks great in spite of the continuing drought. 

My daughter Becky was at home, inside, resting from a morning of hard farm labor.  She experienced the entire earthquake. 

When I finally did drag myself into the house (emptying grass bags is exhausting), she immediately asked if a jet (one of those low flying, military training ones which frequent our sky) flew over.  I said I was unaware of any jet as I was in deep concentration making sure I was cutting grass and not accidentally mowing down one of many perennials - there are a lot of curves to my lawn.  "Why?"

Becky went into her version of the event.  (I have since received several e-mails with other personal experiences - I have nothing to share, as I missed IT!) She said the windows rattled, the floors shook, and the clock chimed.  But, did she run out to tell me...no!

Later, Glenn called before retuning home from a job.  I asked if he felt the quake.  He had not as he was logging, running the yarder, and rockin' even more than I was.  I was not alone in missing the event.

I saw our walls moving during an earthquake I experienced when living in Idaho.  I felt the 12-story apartment building sway in July 2010 during an earthquake in Anchorage while we were visiting our son.  But, I missed the August 23, 2011 quake in Virginia - more than a little disappointing. 




But, my lawn looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment