summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, August 26, 2011

Not Quite A Plague, But Almost

This summer's grasshopper population is the largest I have ever experienced -  not quite a plaque, but it certainly comes close to one.


bluebird house/fence post covered with grasshoppers



The grasshoppers are everywhere, and I mean everywhere - hanging out, or worst yet, eating my plants.  They strip the foliage off many of my perennials; and some, eat the flower buds and petals.  My flower beds are just about colorless.  At any rate, many of my plants are ragged-looking and some, only stems remain.   Each summer, I always get some grasshopper damage to my gardens, but this season has been the most ravaging, ever.  Witnessing my plants being devoured, bite by bite,  does not make me happy. 



tomato leaves completely consumed
















on tv cabinet



In addition to observing the grasshoppers on the plants; they are also on fences, on the decks, in the dog food bowls, on windows, on the vehicles -  just everywhere.  Oh yeah, the grass is full of them. You cannot walk outside without getting hit by a flying grasshopper; more distressing, one landing on your bare arm or leg - yuck!  They even jump into the house when a door is opened.  I find them on furniture, on walls and ceilings...you name it, they are there.

on kitchen counter



The upside...

Glenn easily catches grasshoppers near the pond's edge and throws them into the water as live fish food.  Glenn can spend hours feeding the blue gill.   He is quite entertained. The blue gill love to eat them and will even jump out of the water to grab a grasshopper in flight. The blue gill are happy.  





Also, we have several wild turkey populations on the farm.  Each group, around 16-30 birds, can be seen moving in a straight line through the pastures, eating grasshoppers.  The turkeys are happy.




Yes, this too will end; but it has been a long, and prolific, grasshopper season. 



No comments:

Post a Comment