summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Ol' Bread Maker - Me (focaccia)

I really like to bake my own bread from scratch.

Over the years, I have devised a few personal techniques that aid in the success of my bread-making.  Don't get me wrong...I still have failures - working with yeast is tricky, but I have learned to keep those failures to a minimum because nothing tastes better than a flavorful slice(s) of homemade bread.  Usually, no one in this house can stop at only one slice.  The norm...the loaf is gone, as is eaten, by bedtime.  Now, that's the sign of a good loaf of bread.

Yesterday, I made a pasta casserole for dinner.  I used only fresh vegetables from my garden to make the sauce.  That, in itself, was yummy!  What goes better with Italian than a fabulous focaccia.  And,  I make a lip-smacking one - the herbs, the cheeses, the pepperoni. May I repeat, yummy!  Do not take my word for it, ask my husband Glenn or daughter Becky if you can get them to answer between  bites.



The recipe is not my original; it is my version of a recipe from allrecipes.com combined with an idea I gleaned from a restaurant.

When I knead the dough, I already know whether the bread is going to be good, or not.  My touch lets me know. So, even before the loaves go into the oven, I know if I should be salivating or not.  If the sensation is absolute,  the result is a focaccia that is delicious when served with tomato-based meals or that is delicious when eaten alone - no butter necessary.

My helpful hints to my successful bread-making?  Well......for a start, my best tip is to use Rapid Rise yeast as it saves a lot of time and makes the entire process easier.  Another....shape the loaves, cover, and place in a 145 degree oven for 30 minutes to rise, then bake.  Two risings are not necessary.

More tips?  Try making bread yourself.   You will find out what works best for you, and you will have a scrumptious reward  for your efforts. 

Excuse me while I go get another slice of that fabulous focaccia before Glenn devours it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment