summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, August 8, 2011

Wait Until Next Year


We planted four, scrawny grape vines three years ago.  Two years ago, we set the wires even though the vines barely grew tall enough to reach the lowest one.  This year we are eating a very diminutive sampling of one variety, maybe two by the end of the season. 


Reliance - ready to eat!


Blue Concord - just beginning to ripen

The vines are still compact, but they have doubled their size over last season.  They are following the standard regimen - slow, steady growth for the first couple of years to establish the vine, then begin to favor grape production after year three.


Himrod vine

Next year should be the start of a regular harvest.  I am looking forward to it.  My mouth is already watering.

There are two, seedless Blue Concords, just in case we want to make jelly or wine; one Reliance, a glowing red and so tasty; and a Himrod, a white grape perfect for golden raisins.  But, if we are too busy or too lazy; we can just eat all the grapes as fresh fruit, which I already do.  When I am out weeding or checking the chicken's water, I frequently step over to the vines and pick just a few of the ripe grapes and pop them into my mouth.  Even the smallest grape is packed with a sweet juiciness that is all grape. The flavor lingers on my palette, and satisfies my taste buds so that I can continue my chores without taking a real break - a quick and easy refreshment. 

Japanese beetles were my main competition for the grapes this year.  Daily, I would scan the vines, pluck those nasty insects into a jar of diesel fuel, and maintain my control over the 'fruits of my labor'. 


yummy!


Excuse me while I go get my morning snack of grapes.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment