summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Harvest 2011 - Apples = Pie

The apples have been growing all summer.  The trees have been stressed by cicadas and drought.  As a result, the fruit is smaller in both size and quantity than in past years; but I use what I get and I am happy.




We have two Yellow Delicious trees and one Stayman (the pollinator).  The amount of actual fruit each tree  produces varies from one year to the next, but there is always enough to provide and satisfy our needs.  In addition, the apples (usually the damaged, soft, decayed) are shared with the chickens, the horse, the llama, and the cattle.  Bees, birds, and once I even saw a squirrel scurrying away with a large, green apple held tight in its mouth - maybe thinking it was a walnut (Buddy thinks the small apples are tennis balls for his games); partake. Remember my mantra, "Nothing goes to waste on the farm."














At the moment, the windfall/free fall apples are being harvested. There are so many apples on the ground, the trees almost look bare, of fruit that is.


Birds have a unscrupulous habit of taking only a peck or two, just enough to start the rotting process on a firm apple.  This creates the opening the bees need to enjoy the juicy flesh.  If I collect these particular apples early enough, exerting care not to get stung while gathering,  I can still utilize them in my baking by cutting away the spoiled parts.  The ruined parts are, again, treats the chickens.

Did I just mention baking?  Ripe, Yellow Delicious (as the name implies) are so delicious eaten fresh, but what is even more delicious is an apple pie - yep, there goes my mouth - a bit of drool sliding out the side.

I grew up on apple pie, thus; it has been on my favorites list for many, many years.

Last year, we had such a huge apple harvest that it seemed like I was baking a pie daily as I tried to keep up with the supply of fallen apples.  And, of course, once baked, we felt obligated to eat the entire pie the same day.  After all, fresh is fresh.



Now, when I say pie I do not mean pie baked in one of those skimpy 8" glass pie plates.  No, not me.  I make a real apple pie.  I use a 9" X 13" x 2" Pyrex baking dish and prepare a recipe for three crusts, not the typical two.  If I am going to take the time to make a pie, it might as well be a generous pie. 




I peel the apples and the peels go directly to the chickens, of course; or in some years,  I use them to make jelly.  Then, the resulting mash goes to the chickens.  Can you imagine, I even reuse parts of the apple.  (insert mantra here)

This season, I ran into a slight problem.  My pastry cloth, which I have been using to roll out pie crust for over 30 years, needed to be replaced as it was no longer possible to remove the embedded 'lard' - not with any amount of detergent.  So,  off to the store on a simple task - not!  I guess I am old school, but pastry cloths were not to be found anywhere.  They have been replaced by a large piece of plastic that rolls up for storage.  I had no choice, no matter how buying such a new tech gadget was against my traditional baking habits, I had to make my pie.

Well,....this high tech plastic sheet is amazing!    The ease of rolling, no sticking of the dough, faster clean-up.   What took me so long???  I guess new sometimes does mean better.  But, I am still using my Mother's rolling pin.  Some habits, some baking tools are not meant to be changed, improved.  As for the pastry cloth - retired!

As I make the pie, I hold back a cupful of the sliced and spiced apples to place in the leftover trimmings of crust, making what I call a small, test tart.  The tart cools before the pie, so it is eaten first.  If the tart tastes good, so will the pie. The tart is eaten in seconds, the pie is close behind.








As  I enjoy an ample piece of freshly baked, apple pie; I think about all the pleasure those trees have given  me over the course of a year. 



The sight of beautiful bare, gnarled branches etched in the winter sky; the deep pink buds opening up to fragrant, white petals floating on the breezes of spring; the lush green foliage providing a bird's stick nest its privacy; and the pea-sized fruits developing into the firm, sweet, flesh of a fully-mature apple.







The simple apple tree tenders so much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment