summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rereading Gladys Taber, Again

Glenn and Becky attended a Field Day today at the Virginia Tech Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research and Extension Center at McCormick Farm which is located a short five minute drive from our farm. (The historic McCormick Mill will be featured in an upcoming blog.)  The Center's research focuses on sheep, cattle and pasture management.

I took the opportunity to use the alone time to read Gladys Taber.  I read Gladys Taber a lot because she is my favorite author.  I am absorbed with any and all of her writings.

Currently, I am rereading, Harvest At Stillmeadow (1940); prose as appropriate today as it was when it was written.  Gladys writes,

     It's a good thing to be content with what you are.  Which reminds me of a Virginian I know who has never been outside of Virginia.
     "Why doesn't he ever go anywhere?" I asked.
     "Why should he?  He's already there," said another Virginian.
     And, sitting on my old stone step, with the dogs tumbling around me, and the sun a dark fire behind the barn, I understand that feeling.  Where could I travel to?  What could tempt me?  I am already here, I don't have to step outside the yard.  I am here, where my heart is.


 


That is exactly how I feel.  I am content to stay on my farm.  I rarely have reason to leave.  Of course, our farm being in Virginia is only a coincidence to the above referenced quote. 



 
I am here, where my heart is.

 


Stillmeadow - the home of Gladys Taber and the subject of many of her books





I invite you all to read  a book (there are over 50) written by Gladys Taber.  I know you will find her meaningful, thoughtful, and wanting to return for more.  And, when you are hooked,  consider joining the Friends of Gladys Taber (see info in right column) to receive a quarterly newsletter packed with  information about Ms. Taber.

 
 Also, I just happen to be the current cooking editor for the newsletter which is even more fun and rewarding because I try many of the recipes found in Taber's four cook books.   And, Glenn is happy because he gets to eat meals he does not have to prepare.

Another one of those win-win situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment