summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Golden Silk Orb-Weaver


I was out in the garden early, as usually, to beat the heat. 

I noticed a difference in the air - not as humid, and more bearable - not quite the sense of autumn around the corner, but definitely a welcomed change.  I was able to putter longer than I have in recent weeks with no sweat running down into my eyes.  Sweet!  I was actually enjoying my gardening, again.

I went inside to fetch my camera.  I really should just keep my camera hanging permanently from my neck, as I always seem to be running to get it for a great photo op, then; I miss the op.

This time, I wanted to get a few pictures of our the three bucks - as in male sheep.  But, by the time it took to get the camera, they had moved into a combination sunny, shady area and the lighting was too tricky for my novice photography abilities.  I moved into the veggie garden hoping to get a few good vegetable shots.  Again, lighting all wrong.


Nevertheless, I did happen upon a golden orb spider that just nabbed what looked like a huge June bug.  He started spinning his prey - round and round.  A thin layer of silk swiftly held the beetle, then a few more turns of the spider's legs (all eight were working) and soon the bug was encased in a thick capsule of perfectly rolled white thread.  I quickly adjusted the  camera settings and took a few  shots.  I come upon golden orb-weavers quite frequently, but never had I seen any prey in the webs until now.  And, to witness the actual capture and spinning was absolutely amazing to watch. 

I wanted a video.  From past experience, a video without the aid of a tripod is always shaky, but I did not have time to retrieve my tripod.  I attempted the video, handheld.  Unfortunately, I was already standing unbalanced, a bit contorted, straining myself as I reached over a massive tomato plant to get my close-up photos (anything for that 'good' shot).  I was at a disadvantage. Within seconds, I felt myself falling. I was able to shoot about two seconds of video.


I am satisfied with two seconds.  I might never get a similar chance ever again.



For some reason, I always liked the orb-weaver spiders (as far as spiders go)  - maybe because I could always see them (they are large),  I always knew their location.

No comments:

Post a Comment