summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Small Town America - Steeles Tavern

Do you think Small Town American is an icon of the past?  Think again. 

I live in a rural area of Virginia.  I am surrounded by many, and I mean many; small, and I mean small, towns.

The closest town to our farm is Steeles Tavern.  Steeles Tavern is located on a fairly busy state highway, yet the town is quite modest; bordering on non-existent - literally a post office, an auto parts store/shop and an antique shop.  That's it - no grocery (a milk & bread  market  closed years ago), no gas (stations are nearby, though), no bank - not much of anything.  And, I like it like that!





Steeles Tavern
(post office on left, auto parts store on right)


The U.S. Post Office (let me be clear, I did say U. S. as in United States) opens at 7:00 AM and closes at 3:15 PM.  Oh, by the way, they close between noon and 12:30 for lunch, as well.  Can you imagine...a post office closing for lunch?  I can - most of them around here do. The challenge is remembering which post office is closed when, so as to get to the one that might be open at the time I want to buy stamps - it can be quite confusing as each office has a different schedule.  I have gotten it wrong many a time, too.



antique shop


The upside is that there are no traffic jams in Steeles Tavern - nope, never.

Now,  the parking areas of both the post office and the antique shop can be crowded at times, though  - the post office with locals touching base on the daily gossip/gab (I rarely use this post office - too gossipy for me and it is not my post office for my mailing address)  and the antique shop with tourists driving by looking for a 'good' deal.   

I did go to an auction, once,  in Steeles Tavern when I lived in the south end of Rockbridge County near Natural Bridge.  That was over 23 years ago.  I bought an old, handmade wardrobe which I continue to use today.  When we moved north, it was like that wardrobe was returning home, where it belonged.

And, that wardrobe brought me to a place that is definitely home, definitely a place I belong.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment