summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, August 29, 2011

Harvest 2011 - Concord Grapes = Jam

This was our first harvest of Concord grapes since planting our vines, so it was purposefully small as I cut off  about half of the initial grape clusters to aid in the growth and vigor of the young vine. 




I have been checking on the progress of these grapes all summer; stealing a grape or two, in passing, as they ripened.  Boy, what intense flavor in just one little grape - full essence of Concord!

Yesterday, I discovered small bumblebees sucking the juice out of my grapes - I took this as a sure sign that the grapes were ripe and ready for harvest.  I immediately cut off all the purple clusters, leaving a few of the green/reddish bunches - the bees could have these.




Jelly or jam?  I decided on jam due to the limited harvest.  I needed all the grape I could muster to get the required six cups of processed grapes.  Plus, jam takes less time - no need to wait for the juices to filter through a cheesecloth.



I picked each grape off the stems, washed them, and pulverized them in my food processor before putting them into the pot for cooking.  Adding the pectin, a sliver of butter, plenty of sugar; I stirred constantly to a full boil, then ladled the hot reddish-purple and so grapey an aroma into half-pint jars and placed them into a hot water bath as the final step. (Or is the final step eating?) Yield was suppose to be 9 jars, I ended up with 12.  Go figure....I usually end up with less than the amount stated, so I felt I was ahead this go around.  Coming out of the hot water bath, the jam had turned, as if by magic, its recognizable deep purple color.  And, I thought Welch's just added food coloring.



There was just enough of the jam left, that did not make it into a jar, to taste test on several slices of rye bread - yummy!  I am glad for those extra 3 jars now.




Next year, we should have a large enough harvest to make not only more jam, but wine, too!  Watch out Mogan David....

No comments:

Post a Comment