summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, August 13, 2011

What Happened to the Watermelon?

The verdict is in...the vine growing in the small, raised, flower bed on the mountain side (sometimes I call it the back of the house, sometimes the front) of the house is not the long anticipated watermelon, but decorative gourds instead - boo, hoo!


 
For the past two summers, we have been growing, almost by accident; the reddest, the juiciest, the best tasting watermelon ever in a small (4' X 10') raised bed adjacent to the deck.  Glenn and I usually sit on this deck to eat the dripping melon, then spit the seeds into the bed. The blooming flowers hide our bad manners. The following summer, those same seeds produce delicious fruit without any help from us.

This year, I decided to deliberately plant two different varieties of watermelon in that same bed.  I was getting the best of both worlds - my choice of melon with all the flavor.  What happened?  I guess I tempted fate as a gourd vine grew instead of a watermelon vine, any watermelon vine - how disappointing!



The gourds are beautiful and will make quite a lovely fall decoration, but they are not quite the mouth-watering, juice dribbling down the chin, sticky finger harvest we were waiting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment