summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, January 15, 2012

And, The Baking Continues - Lemon Cheesecake Bars

I bought a mesh bagful of lemons last week to make one of the recipes used in the 2012 Friends of Gladys Taber Newsletter cooking column - no I am not going to tell you the recipe - if you are at all interested in Gladys Taber, I recommend that you join the Friends of Gladys Taber (see my note at the right). We always embrace new members.  If you do not know anything about Gladys Taber, I recommend that you read one of her many books - start with one about Stillmeadow - you might just get hooked.

I had the choice of buying individual, shriveled, brownish barely walnut-sized lemons for $0.44 each or a bag of six, large, bright yellow, California-grown lemons.  I bought the bag even though I knew I only needed two lemons.  I figured I could always make something else in the coming days with the remaining fruits.  I made the right choice.


Still in that cooking/baking mood from preparing my cooking column (as mentioned a few days back)...and still having leftover lemons, I decided to try some new recipes.

Yesterday, I used one of the lemons, sliced, in a marinade for a beef roast - also, a Gladys Taber recipe which will probably be included in a future column; so again, I will be secretive....

And, I also used one of the lemons, juice and rind, in a Lemon Cheesecake dessert. This time; I used  part of one recipe for the crust, and  I used a variation of another recipe for the filling and topping - cream cheese, farm-fresh eggs, freshly squeezed lemon juice, freshly grated lemon zest, sour cream, and sugar - yumm!

Glenn's comment, 'LEMON cheesecake, really?  LEMON?'  I like lemon.  Obviously, Glenn does not.

Both Glenn and Becky had three servings of that Lemon Cheesecake. Glenn rarely eats dessert and Becky diligently watches her calorie intake.  Both offered verbal compliments - something I rarely hear from either of them.

Even though cooking/baking took me most of the day and resulted in a sinkful of dirty dishes, and a scraped knuckle (ouch!) from grating lemon zest; having a successful, in taste and appreciation,  family meal was certainly worth the time and effort.

Try a bite...open wide!
I had bunches of fun cooking and creating; and, the effort is always more satisfying when the food tastes good.  I have made many an unappetizing meal  in my day - just ask the chickens. 

I prefer the delicious, successful ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment