summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, January 16, 2012

From The Privacy Of My Home

It is amazing what I observe, by chance, from the inside of my home.

I never miss the opportunity to glance outside as I pass a window. 

This morning, while looking down into the back garden from a second story pane, I saw an upside- down bird, in my small dogwood sapling, engrossed in eating . 

Immediately, I identified the bird as a woodpecker - black, white, with a small red patch on the top of his head.  And, I knew what he was eating - a praying mantis egg case. The bright red berries of the dogwood have been long gone; eaten by the local population of Blue Jays and Mockingbirds.  All that remains on the branches are several egg casings and the flower buds for the upcoming spring blossoms.



I had never seen any bird relish the egg casings of the praying mantis, ever.  And, I have loads of these egg casings attached to my many plants growing throughout my garden.  A result of having plentiful praying mantis, I suppose. 

Watching this woodpecker, eating upside down, was a treat.  Previously, I have only witnessed these common woodpeckers chipping away at my silver maple tree for insects or pounding away on a grey-striped sunflower seed at my feeder.  Eating an mantis egg casing... never.


Since the winter weather with cooler temperatures keeps me inside more than I like,  I will continue to glance through my windows. Who knows what new spectacle I will notice next?  And, when I do see something unusual or different, I will certainly let you know - in a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment