summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bad Rap

Yesterday, I gave my residential Blue Jay population a bad rap.  I said they were bullies.

In a matter of speaking, they are bullies - always pushing or scaring the smaller birds away from resting on a tree branch or away from a meal at the feeder.

But, today, my opinion has been modified.

I do have one bird feeder, a mason jar type that is preferred by the Blue Jays.  They are happy enough to use this feeder as theirs, as long as the jar is filled with grey-striped sunflower seeds. The jays can empty said jar in one day.  So, when the quart jar is empty, and I shirk or delay my daily chore to refill; they move to the nearby larger feeder - feeder #2, which is usually utilized by the smaller-sized  birds.

The small birds do not take favorably on having the Blue Jays share this, their feeder. They do give the jays their space, but the smaller titmice or juncos are never far from returning to their perch, or ground-feeding below just as soon as the jays fly away.

In reality, the Blue Jay is a much larger bird than any of the other birds enjoying the convenience of the feeding station.  How can I blame the Blue Jays for being a menace?  The Blue Jay just needs a whole lot more sunflower seeds per diem to survive than the more diminutive species.

Also, irrefutable, the Blue Jays add so much color to my yard; especially during the muted season of winter.  Flashes of blue cross my path regularly.  Even if I did not see them, I would hear them.  Blue Jays are very vocal - they are loud in letting their presence be known.  But, their coloring is their most distinctive and admired feature.  For some reason, when I watch a Blue Jay, my thoughts go to Scottish plaid - specific clan undetermined. 


So, bully - yes, beautiful -  yes, undesirable - a most resounding NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment