summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm On A (Cooking) Binge

My cooking/baking desire is still within my bones, so I keep creating.  And, I might add, eating.

During the past two days, I have made two recipes that I have always wanted to try, but; never have - until now.

Last night, along with a Gladys Taber recipe for Sukiyaki (so yummy - I will be making that again soon), I made Pork Fried Rice. I have always enjoyed fried rice whenever we went out for Chinese, but I have never made the dish myself. And, during every Chinese meal at a restaurant, I would always say, "I have to try making Fried Rice sometime." Last night, some time finally arrived.

I decided to double the recipe.  I was feeling confident that the results would be gratifying.

First, I had to make some fluffy white rice  - ten full cups of rice - now, that is a lot of rice. Glenn and I will be eating rice all week. My results in cooking rice have always been an on again, off again outcome. More off than on.  On - fluffy, off - mushy and sticky. Searching the Internet; I found simple, basic instructions and Voila...fluffy rice - amazing since I lost track midway through the process.  I got involved in something else (you know - multi-tasking) and came back into the kitchen to find my rice perfectly cooked.  I actually forgot that I was making rice.  Like I said, amazing!

I continued on, and as predictable, I found myself making revisions to the stated ingredients.  No fresh ginger; would dry, ground do?  Back to the Internet.  I discovered that I could use rinsed, crystallized ginger as a substitute for  fresh. I actually had crystallized ginger on my spice shelf from the time I tried it as a remedy for my motion sickness.  (One piece  of  crystallized ginger made me more ill than I had ever been from motion sickness; Sea Bands work so much better.)  So, I used the crystallized ginger in the rice along with corn, peas, eggs, ham.

Then, I needed curry powder  What is curry powder?  I had never stocked my shelf with this spice.  Again, to the Internet where I discovered curry is a mixture of many spices; most which I did have in supply.  Therefore, I just made my own curry concoction from a little bit of each spice listed that I had on hand - it worked! The results were most satisfying.

Yummy last night, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday....

The Fried Rice was so delicious - Glenn's comment - good thing I made a week's worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment