summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Greens

So far, to say the least, our winter has been very mild.   But, I am reserving any opinion on the remaining days of the season...because, a person never knows!

The yard, garden and surrounding landscape definitely sports customary winter garb -  bare tree branches in full focus (deciduous leaves long gone), greys and browns the dominant colors.

Muhgo pine, yucca, bamboo and a bit of iris


But, there is still a lot of green to satisfy my passion for color; even a bit of red (berries) and pale yellow (some daffodils have already displayed the beginning of the flower buds - this is early even for my garden).


















I like to take the typical short days and cooler temperatures of the season to remain inside and do inside stuff - read, write, quilt, cleaning (when I finally get the urge), and even relax.  But, this year is different.  The weather, for the most part, frequently encouraged me outside to continue with garden clean-up (affectionately known to me as 'make neat'). The plants are not growing (much), but even at rest, there are plenty of yard chores.  On really nice days, I am still able to hang laundry out to dry.  Motorcycle rides - never really stopped. 

My question....what happened to my 'resting' season? 

ivy and, Jake

Fortunately; I like to be outside working in my garden, playing with the dogs, taking photographs, enjoying the beauty around me. And, the greens in winter really capture my attention. 

poppy foliage



grape hyacinth foliage

rhododendron/flower buds - typical for the season


So, I take the days as they come and schedule my tasks accordingly.  There will always be time to 'rest', later.

No comments:

Post a Comment