summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Wildlife

Today's walk produced several sightings of wildlife.  I had not gone wandering in search of wildlife, but I am glad I was rewarded.

A bunch of geese, too numerous to count (they kept moving), enjoyed floating on the quiet water of the farm pond.



Close to the woods, I watched and listened to a annoyed pileated woodpecker - his unending chatter accompanied his up, down and around movement on a nearby tree.


A few deer had crept out of the woods onto the farm lane.  They watched my every, slow movement as I watched them.  When I got too close, they scampered back into the safety of the woods, tails waving high. Within seconds, the coloring of their winter coats blended with the trees' barks - and, they were gone from my sight.

Look at that tail - beautiful!
Nearby, I sneaked up on a male cardinal munching at some wild berries, rose hips to be exact.  His bold color never disappoints me. When he realized I was in his space; he kept eating, but with more caution.



The season has changed - winter being more quiet and subdued; but, still plenty to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment